Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Favorite Oatmeal Recipe

Growing up in a larger-than-normal family of 5 children (I don't think we were a large family, but others did!), we were not able to afford boxed cereal. With 4 of the 5 being boys, we could eat through a whole box in one meal! That would get expensive fast, so instead we ate oatmeal or grits for breakfast. On occasion we might also have pancakes for breakfast, or on Saturday we might even have fried eggs and/or venison steak with our grits. Such fond memories! But, oatmeal was not something I really enjoyed. We ate it with cinnamon and brown sugar. It was okay, it was nutritious, but not my favorite breakfast in the world. In fact, until I "grew up" I hated oatmeal.

Recently, I decided to simplify breakfast. There is nothing like starting the day out having no plan for breakfast, and an hour to get it make before Dear Husband has to get off to work. It creates stress, late meals and rushing out the door to make it to work on time. So, I decided to follow my mother's example and have oatmeal everyday--almost. I have since done some figuring and found that the 10-lb box of oats from Costco will feed us breakfast 5 days a week for a month. Of course that will change as more are added to our family, but this is what works for now. On another day, we might have pancakes, muffins, eggs, etc. I have experimented (with help from the Lord) and have come up with a nutrition-packed breakfast that we all enjoy. I start the oatmeal in the evening, after reading the benefits to soaking grain. No, I don't soak flour and everything right now, but oatmeal is something easy to soak and tastes yummy. My children love it and often want oatmeal on the mornings when we have something else! I am thankful for the help the Lord gives in providing nutritious things for our family to eat. :)

Here is the recipe I use:

5 cups water, divided
2 1/2 cups oats
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup organic sugar or 1/2 cup honey
3 T. butter or 1/4 cup coconut oil (coconut oil gives a nice flavor!)
cinnamon to taste
dash of salt
Ground Flax seed 
Raw Milk

In small container pour in 2 1/2 cups water and apple cider vinegar. Mix together. Add oats. Cover and let it sit at least 7 hours, longer is better. In the morning, pour oats into small to medium size pot with remaining 2 1/2 cups water.  Bring to boil and cook until most of water is absorbed, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick to the pot. I haven't actually timed to see how long it takes, 5-7 minutes? I usually get tea started and grind my flax while it is cooking. When it is done cooking, add salt, sugar or honey, cinnamon and salt. You can add flax now if you desire, but I usually spoon it in everyone's bowl. I grind probably 1/4 cup of flax seeds, but have not measured for sure. You can do as much or little as you like. Serve with milk, fruit, or whatever else you desire. Enjoy! Edited to add: This is the perfect amount for our family of 4. Two adults, a preschooler and a toddler.

Linking up at Growing Home,
Whole-Hearted Home, 
A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

No comments:

Post a Comment